"Taking a Chance on Love" is a popular song from the 1940 Broadway musical Cabin in the Sky. It was introduced by Ethel Waters playing the role of Petunia Jackson both on Broadway and later in the 1943 MGM musical Cabin in the Sky (film). The song was written by Vernon Duke with lyrics by John La Touche and Ted Fetter (see 1940 in music). It has become a standard. Several songs from the Broadway musical were released as a 3-record shellac set under the title "The Music of Cabin in the Sky featuring Ethel Waters" in 1940.
Since the original recording, "Taking a Chance on Love" has become part of the American Songbook and has been sung and recorded by many prominent performers, including:
- In 1943, a reissue of the Benny Goodman cover featuring Helen Forrest (which was recorded and previously released in 1940) reached No. 1, as well as reaching No. 10 on the Harlem Hit Parade chart.
- Sammy Kaye also enjoyed chart success in 1943, reaching the No. 13 position.
- Hazel Scott in the Vincente Minnelli 1943 film I Dood It
- Frank Sinatra
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Tony Bennett
- Burlingame, Sandra. "Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Taking a Chance on Love)". jazzstandards.com. Retrieved July 8, 2009.
- "Pop Chronicles 1940s Program #9". 1972.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 232.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, USA: Record Research Inc. p. 589. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.